An Introduction to Counselling Skills – One Day Workshop
Having counselling skills better equips all therapists to help people either professionally or personally. By learning some basic counselling techniques we can become better listeners and more effective helpers. If working with any vulnerable people these basic techniques are essential.
On this 1 day course we will look at the following areas:
- Active Listening – what is it and how to achieve it
- Body language – 93% of language is body language, so learning how to read it and respond to it is essential for avoiding miscommunications
- Effective verbal communicative responses
- What’s the difference between counsellors and other helping roles?
- Self-awareness – what is it and why do we need it? – an introduction to this vast subject
- Transference and counter transference – so who else is in the room with you both?
This is an interactive and friendly course. It is run in small groups with practical exercises interspersed throughout the day so that you can get some hands on practice. The aim is that you will leave the course feeling confident in the skills you have learnt and able to put them into practice immediately.
About your tutor
Claire Walsh is a practicing BACP accredited counsellor/integrated therapist with 8 years of experience. She has delivered various workshops to both professionals and non-professionals for 8 years. Previously Claire was a deputy manager nurse for people with learning disabilities helping to run 3 separate units which included delivering training on CBT skills and behavioural modification techniques.
As an integrated therapist Claire is experienced with a variety of counselling techniques and theories and so consequently is able to tailor make the therapy according to the individual needs of the person. At the heart of all her therapy is the core conditions of genuineness, unconditional acceptance and empathy which is what she also brings to her courses.
The cost of the workshop includes a comprehensive manual, safe car parking, delicious buffet lunch and refreshments throughout the day and certificate of attendance.